Friday, November 11, 2011

A reason, season or lifetime

Most of us have heard this, more often than we would like to acknowledge. Increasingly I have come to realize this. The realization is a bit unnerving at some level, but also comforting cause you stop pushing yourself. May be the series of goodbyes I have had to say this year, is to be blamed for this moment of clarity. 

I've always been the kinds to keep a few friends, but real close ones at that. The thought of them going away for work/study or any other reason, has always been kinda unwelcome. Not that I am against change only as long as it doesn't change the canvas of my life too much. Yea Im somewhat set in my ways. Sides, its that sinking feeling, which is momentary though (thank God for little mercies) but its like So this is it. That's what I dread the most.

I have been lucky to meet and interact with some real nice people, seriously funny, sharp, good looking, witty, motivated, focused and still fun.. and more, and with each one of them I have cherished the time spent. Its when they got busy with their lives, is when I truly realized that not everyone is here for a lifetime. 

A bunch of people I traveled with, for work, stayed and had quite a bit of fun, all made for good company. And now its been over 2 may be 3 years that I haven't spoken to a single one of them. It felt strange at first, cause I did try hard to stay in touch, but realized that they were there for a season. When all of us needed each others company and the comfort there in. That in our respective lives, the way we were, we could have never been friends for long, may be just acquaintances. 

Some people I met (virtually) and at the time it seemed like just a passing acquaintance, but these same people form very vital pillars of my life. Its like having a pen pal (very Old school I know, in this perpetually connected digital age), who you're never sure of meeting in person, nonetheless their presence is important. Specially on one of those particularly pensive days. They bring the cheer with music/pics/random gossip or just feel good talk. So they're there for a reason, but I'd like it if the reasons never end, so I can bank on the friendships for good for long.
At college, I was quite blunt in expressing that I'd perhaps never really make an effort to keep in touch with any of my classmates. And to my own utter surprise, not only do we keep in touch, but could easily be the best of pals. So I know for sure these people are here to stay. Then my bunch of friends at work, most of whom have moved on with their lives. I'd have never given credit to how deep our bonds really were, but only now do I realize that these friendships were not seasonal, but will hopefully last a lifetime. All the people I met along the way, at work and outside. The contours of our lives might be constantly changing, but we would always find a way back to connect somehow....or so I hope. Cause I really believe that these folks are for a lifetime.

Finally, the people I have tried the hardest to hold on, slipped away with time and years. Losing in the crowd, memories gradually fading away, sucked up by the chaos called life. I am not quite sure about this part, the why and the how. Were they here for a reason, that I can't fathom, or a season called good times.......who can say!










2 comments:

PG said...

This friendship has to be for a lifetime - I refuse to believe anything else.
<3

laddu said...

liked the title :) nice post..