Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Kleptomaniac......is there one in you?

Disclaimer: Totally borders on being offensive, but no personal attack intended and Im all for freedom of expression.

 A lot has been happening of late (good things for a change :D) so haven't been able to focus. Anyway, back now. I'll leave the place I got used to spending 10-12 hours at, daily and getting paid for doing so. There's still time, but I am trying to get in to the third person mode and learning to look at things more objectively, which clearly gives a lot of food for thought. 

Like I've mentioned earlier, I work at a pretty nice office, with fully stacked micro kitchens and a rather elaborate spread at the meal times. The micro kitchens are stacked for munching between meals and clearly attribute singed-handedly for all the extra body mass floating around. Anyway, so when I say stacked, really they are loaded, with all sorts of mouth watering distractions, ranging from chocolates, muffins, instant noodles, fruit cakes, aerated drinks, milk shakes, fruits, candies, health bars, yogurt, and what not. You get the picture right. 

Ideal behaviour - Go to the MK, take your fill, to munch away while working/gossiping. Laze around and waste time around a plethora of food.
About Acceptable behaviour - picking up your share of junk food or whatever have you, to address the hunger pangs en route home.

Unacceptable behaviour -  clearing off the racks, and loading the huge laptop bags. In an attempt to do justice to everything, picking fruits, beverages, junk food, and pretty much everything that can be carried in the backpack. 

I know we are like a developing 3rd world nation and all that, but really folks coming from well-do homes, educated lot, (clearly if you were hired, I'm assuming you ought to have received some, and I don't mean accumulating degrees, but education which is a lot more than being literate) cleaning off racks. And these are definitely not your survival kit, unless you are in the business of maintaining a daily supplies store, which is yet another line of thought. 

What can be the temptation? My mind forces me to arrive at only one logical explanation 'there's a kleptomaniac,' in a lot of us. 

The minute there is free stuff and no one's looking, something triggers the devil into action. Do you generally clean fridge racks etc at friends places too (its free and no one will suspect)? Or unattended aisles at departmental stores, but oh there's the bloody CCTV, making operations difficult and the damn tags and codes.

So if you are secretly associating yourself with the third category (Come on how long can one be in denial and point fingers, we all know deep down who we are), then may be its good to curb this devil, no? 






2 comments:

Suhel Banerjee said...

1. Tiny nitpick - "Of late" and not "off late". I too learnt this of late.

2. Once again, congrats on the major good thing!

3. I always thought you got paid for doing something and not just spending 10-12 hours somewhere. Things have changed fast it seems.

4. "a pretty nice office" - In less than 6 months you'll realize what an understatement that is.

5. What micro-kitchens? We have breakout-areas. Becoming all American, are we?

6. Not sure if we can attribute the body mass to the snacks, the volumes, definitely.

7. "I know we are like a developing 3rd world nation and all that, but really folks coming from well-do homes, educated lot, (clearly if you were hired, I'm assuming you ought to have received some, and I don't mean accumulating degrees, but education which is a lot more than being literate) cleaning off racks." - Umm..where did the sentence start? Why did it go shopping and then for a walk in the park? When did it finally come back home?:)

Thank you for coming up with the post. One of my biggest peeves at my favourite place. Should be made mandatory reading during new hire orientation.

Subtle Expressions said...

:) I am not sure if I should make a grumpy face for the edits or thank you for resonating the sentiment.

1. I almost always get the of late part wrong.
2. Thanks again :)
3. Haha sometimes I discount the work and focus on the pamper employees part.
4. Im sure.
5. It can be easily comprehended by members outside the Big G.
6.I was trying to be subtle, fat floating around would have sounded rude.
7. The part outside the brackets makes perfect sense. And yea I do like sentences going shopping, walk and back home Sometimes :)

I hope I've covered everything :P
But thanks yet again for resonating the sentiment. I was almost feeling guilty of every having written this, considering people tend to take offense.