Sunday, August 14, 2011

Who is a Friend?


I believe we never stop learning. I try picking up habits, traits, skills et al. I try hard to be like a sponge, absorbing as much as the world has to offer, by way of people around me, friends, family, acquaintances etc. More often than not, the context could be missing, but if there's something about you, I really admire, be sure that I would pick it up and put it to practice. That said, there are a lot of things, which might have been said by friends off hand, but have gotten etched in my mind, cause they gave me a whole new perspective. Whatever they said, helped me see things in a new light. Im sure by now you are wondering where this is heading. I'll get to it soon (assuming I am to hold your interest that long)


Here I was whining bout my life in general, to a friend. All this over chat, cause well I keep procrastinating about calling her, but the thought rarely converts to action. But she being truly what she is, saw me online and inquired if I was fine, all thanks to my prolonged state of hibernation from my friend circle. She figured there would be volumes I needed to offload. 


After going on for 5 full minutes, ( and thats a lot, cause I type quite fast), all she had to say was, 'Do you seek me out as a friend ever?, call me up at any hour of the day, wherever I am, I seek you out when I need a friend, I tell you whatever bothers me because I don't need to be told that you are a friend and I can speak to you, I know you are there and even if I don't meet you, that's a lot of support for me mentally.' 


I have always felt that the whole '2 a.m friend is an over-rated concept, but I have only truly realized its meaning now. While its good to have a bunch of like-minded people to hang out with at nice cafe's and bars, sometimes you need that doze of reality and affection that a true friend can offer. Your life may not look like one long party, but those one or two real close pals, sure make it a lot more bearable and put it all in perspective.


So, thanks my dear for being you always.....

6 comments:

Priyanka said...

truly....your each and every word is just so genuine from the heart...... as in ur words ( a bit twisted) its better to have a genuine honest frnd or 2 in ur life than having those bunchful of useless namesake ones..... and i am proud to have you as one of my genuine frnds....i knw wherever, whenever we need each other we are going to be there....much love....now and always...
stay blessed

SB said...

what if that 2 am frnd is at a place where there is no network? smwhr in rural india?

Nas said...

Such friends are to be cherished.
:)

Tazeen said...

I know that feeling. I feel blessed to have such friends too! :)

Subtle Expressions said...

Nas & TR: Yes indeed :)

Misterio Vida said...

yes true...true friend is the one who is always there no matter what... like mindness is something else but friendship is a lot more than just the tuning of minds into the same frequency :)