Friday, June 17, 2011

Making love out of nothing at all...


As you may have figured by now, I too, like a lot of others, work for an MNC, which is known to spoil its employees silly. I totally love the company I work for, and feel lucky everyday. However, getting to my place of work and back home is one long drive. The commute can get superbly monotonous and bugging in the absence of better things to keep yourself occupied with, whilst you are being driven back and forth. Not to mention I feel lucky again, that I don't have to mind the clutch and break and there's someone else doing that for me, to ensure I reach home comfortably in spite of battling all the traffic. Make no mistake, I do enjoy driving, but busy city streets with endless traffic, get to me sometimes. But anyway thats not the point. Like I was saying, I found something interesting to indulge myself in, to keep myself from feeling extremely bored. 


How often we tend to miss the beauty around us, in things big and small. So today when my cab came out of the basement, I made a conscious effort to look around and notice much more than I usually do. Instead of fretting over the seemingly endless queue of cars, I looked up and the sky was the most beautiful shade of grey. Water laden clouds, scattered all over, waiting to splash all over. As we drove on, out & away from the concrete structures around, there were tall trees, swaying gently to a rhythm of their own, like moving in a symphony, where God himself was the conductor of the orchestra. 


Before we knew it, the clouds burst and how. Lashing against the window panes, an endless stream of water, washing away the roads, leaving the sky clean, leaves glistening after being freshly washed, and of course the smell of wet earth. While rain was doing its bit, in patches of the way, there were vendors, trying to make some quick money, before getting soaked to the bones. They came selling odds and ends, but it was a bunch or roses which caught my fancy. Lovely, full, rich crimson red, half bloomed rose buds, with shining droplets of water on the petals (thanks to the rain) wrapped in quintessential cellophane. They were so gorgeous, that they just took my breadth away.


And no, amidst all this, I wasn't anywhere close to reaching home, but I didn't mind it at all. After the roses, I managed to spot a profusion of pink and white bougainvillea, again freshly washed and blooming. And there were these bushes with star shaped leaves, giving them company, while cars whooshed passed them. 


Somewhere along the way I realized, it had stopped raining, but what a trail of beauty it had left behind. The sky had different hues every few meters and I was almost home. This had to be the most wonderful visual treat I had had in the longest time, that too on these busy city streets. 


1 comment:

Nas said...

I think there is a lot of beauty we tend to miss / never see, because we are always in such a rush.

And the rain has its own type of beauty.

:)