Monday, June 27, 2011

The Magic of Print

An otherwise slow moving Sunday, was made quite delightful I realized, yet again by all forms of printed media. Technology has come a long way in giving us company, and keeping the tech savvy hungry for more. It has filled our days with easily accessible information, friends (just a ping away), music from all parts of the world, classics long lost, movies and everything I might be missing here. Digital media has taken over our lives in a big way. News, books, advertising (my favourite :P) and what not. 

Still, print media hasn't lost its charm, I'm speaking for myself here. I was never fond of crushed papers, or old books in tattered condition. Though I do agree they have their own place in a book lovers life. Back to my Sunday experience, like I said a slow moving day. It was raining (again). Yes rain has started figuring too often in my posts, but rainy season is almost here. So just can't avoid mentioning and romanticizing the same. 

Don't rains just naturally bring out the sleepy poet in you?....( most often they do, for me again)

Rains outside, steaming cup of coffee along with a book I have been meaning to read for a while now. Songs of Blood & Sword (Fatima Bhutto). Okay the weather and the title of the book were two extremes in themselves. Anyway, I can read articles, blogs, this and that on my system, but I just can't bring myself to read a complete book in any other form, than as a hard bound or paper back, printed copy. There's just something extremely engaging about it. After pouring over the editorials of the Sunday paper (they have diluted over the years, but still worth a read), over a 100 odd pages of Fatima Bhutto, at a stretch. The experience was something else. I were to put it in simple words, a Sunday well spent. 

I have friends who would call my inflexibility a mental block, and I do give full points to them for having taken to the digital medium seamlessly. As for me, I keep getting back to the printed medium and falling in love with it all over again. 

Speaking of which, more on Songs of Blood & Sword in another post.





2 comments:

Nas said...

I totally agree with you!
When it comes to books, I don't like reading ebooks on my computer or phone. It just doesn't work for me. I have many books downloaded on the reader on my phone, but I just haven't read them.
Nothing beats a physical book in which you can turn the page over.
:)

Anonymous said...

Loved your post - couldn't agree more with you ... even after adopting the digital media, I experience real bliss only when I've a book, a cozy corner and a warm cuppa!

Cheers :-)