Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A little something,


I have been trying learn something important, from every experience big and small, lately. Trying to be more aware, and conscious of life, mine and around me. I was talking to mom, and she shared some trivia with me, you could call it a fact or a story. Either way, I found it lovely, and couldn't resist sharing it. Disappointments and failures pull us down, and we forget to realize our true potential. 


We forget that the obstacles are part of existence, not existence itself. 


I don't mean to sound preachy, though it is fun to step in to the shoes of one, every once in a while, but now is not the time. 


Coming back to what mom told me....


In order to control an elephant, its young one, the baby elephant, is tied by big strong ropes, to the trunk of a tree by a mahout. No matter how hard it tries, it isn't able to pull the tree down, and there it stays trapped in the big thick ropes tied to its legs. As it grows up, the rope becomes thinner and finer. No longer as thick, heavy and overpowering. Over time it reduces to being just a string, much like dental floss (okay that be might an exaggeration, but you get the point). But by then, the elephant, now much bigger and stronger, gets so conditioned to the ropes and staying tied to the spot, that it pretty much stops trying. There ain't no tree that the beast of the jungle can't pull down, but it just stops trying, without realizing its immense potential. 


That's life for us!

7 comments:

Tazeen said...

I'm going to make a habit of visiting this place often. I like it.

Subtle Expressions said...

Tazeen: Thanks so much.

Nas said...

That is an excellent analogy! I love it!
Thank you very much for sharing
:)

Subtle Expressions said...

@Nas: Pleasure. Glad, you like it. :-)

PG said...

Wow Megha...I love this anecdote! its truly lovely! :) I love it how active you're being...dont stop, OK?

Subtle Expressions said...

Thanks PG :-)

Yours Truly said...

Thanks for sharing the story!
The analogy was really good! :D

yours truly x