Monday, June 06, 2011

The Sprint to Perfection (NOT)

Whatever happened to realizing self worth and embracing your shortcomings. Everywhere all you see is the sprint to perfection. The size zero waist line or is it -1 now, I've begun to lose track, the pouty lips, the line free face, but this one just gets to me, 'the fair spotless skin.' Hordes and hordes of fairness creams at our disposal. 20 somethings talking about a wrinkle free skin, wait, don't we already have that till mid thirties, like by default. But clearly fairness creams get the lion's share of the pie. The solution to a perfectly happy you, cause that guy/girl you're dating will write you off if you don't have a 'white,' skin, an acne free face and of course a Kat like body. Not to mention, the hair, the layers and layers of black perfection. The sweets without sugar for a washboard flat mid area, and on and on and on.

I'm not a proponent of mediocrity, and I do believe in first impressions. Clearly a clean, well dressed and well turned out person is any day more welcome, than the complete reverse. But come on cliched as it may sound, beauty has to be more than skin deep... or so I believe.
Every time I see one of those fairness creams, I feel like screaming out loud at the stupidity of the whole idea, feeding on the common psyche of fair better than not so fair, skinny better than healthy and what not. oh! how often, have I fallen prey to the triviality of it all, until my more grounded friends drill better sense in to me.

Its like an action item on your daily to do list, to remind yourself that it's okay to not be a perfect 10/10. While you can surely strive for it, lets not drive ourselves up the wall in an attempt to achieve the same!

No comments: